1 EAGLETON NOTES: Isn't the Body Amazing?

.

.

Sunday 13 September 2009

Isn't the Body Amazing?

Today I read in Les Chaussettes de l'Archiduchesse that our brain turns off our butt neurons so that we don't constantly think about them when we are sitting (that is why your backside may be numb when you get up after a long sit).  That is by no means all that I have learned from L'Archiduchesse I might add.  Isn't the body amazing?

However as so often it is the simple things that amaze me.  Not, I hasten to add, that I'm suggesting that the human body is simple - far from it.  Some days ago I was mending the kitchen sink outlet when I cut my finger badly on a stainless steel sharp edge.  There was a loose flap of skin and flesh and lots of blood.  One of those silly moments which should have been avoided.  Normally when things like this happen I call Friend Who Knows Too Much who used to be a nurse and is really good at things like this.  I know.  I have the scars to remind me and make me grateful. Unfortunately she is hundreds of miles away so I was left to my own devices.  Using Steristrips (tricky when it is one's right index finger that is affected and one is right-handed) I managed to get it put back together and covered in Melolin and Micropore.  I have renewed the dressing several times and it looked as though I was going to have a small hole in my finger for a while.  Last night before going to bed I took the dressing off but didn't really look at the wound.  This morning there is a tiny bit of dead skin and everything else has just healed itself.  I never would have thought it.  Isn't the body amazing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.