1 EAGLETON NOTES: Phew!

.

.

Friday 14 June 2013

Phew!

One of the great things for me about Blogland is the friends and acquaintances I've made:  friends who are not just people who read and comment on my blog but people with whom I communicate in a meaningful (don't you just dislike that word) manner.  Some of those people have become friends in my 'real' life as well as in Blogland.  Some, though really good friends, I may never meet.  Some will pass though my life and I through their like ships through mist.

Yesterday a long-time fellow blogger whom I have met several times this year on my travels through Scotland came for a visit.  It can be truly astonishing what one finds out about people that one never even thought about.

Adrian and I share quite a lot of beliefs although our approach to those beliefs is quite different (I have never been given to the robust - not exactly extremist - approach that Adrian adopts).  I have never courted danger in sports and pastimes nor in my life in general.  Adrian, on the other hand, has led a life that I would find truly terrifying and he has the physical and mental scars scars as testimony of that life.

We had a long and very interesting evening yesterday.  I am writing this so that Adrian can read it and know that is the case (from my viewpoint anyway).  I doubt very much whether he can recall any of it because, like everything he does, from his obsession with photographic image manipulation and the seeking after perfection to writing provocative posts, he consumed in one evening more fine wine than I would be able to consume in a fortnight.

Enjoy the Island Adrian.  Enjoy life.  Until we meet again.

17 comments:

  1. I've not met Adrian and most likely won't, but I feel that your assessment of him is right on target. He seems not afraid of doing anything or going anywhere. I applaud him for his adventurous spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to comment on this post, when I clicked on Adrian's link, and got stuck there for a long time....enjoyable and informative as usual.
    He is one hell of a character isn't he? Glad you two enjoyed an evening of fine wine, even if it was consumed in different quantities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference, Virginia, is that I had a clear head both during the evening and in the morning!

      Delete
  3. I should be happy that you obviously had an enjoyable night. Instead I'm envious. I really must have a couple more nights like you describe before I'm too old to do so. It's a shame there aren't a few more Adrians in this world, or in this part of the world at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have had a good evening Pauline. I spent much of my professional life arguing cases of one sort or another and I ran out of puff or the will to argue about anything when I retired. I think Adrian found me a bit of a disappointment in the arguing stakes.

      Delete
  4. How nice that you got to meet with one of your blogging buddies. I hope to do the same, I might have more chance to do so in England than in America since any vacation time is usually spent in England!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've met quite a few Kay and a great lot they are too. I wish you happy meetings.

      Delete
  5. I had a really good evening. Everyone picks up a scar or two.
    I seem to recall having a good wet. My head hurt till lunchtime.
    Many thanks for a grand evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a superb evening Adrian. I have met many people in my life but few have done as many interesting (and so often totally madcap) things as you have. And I bet I only heard a tiny fraction of what you've been up to in your life. Mad bugger!

      Delete
  6. Your post is an interesting ode to an interesting friend.
    Not sure I'd dare writing so frankly and openly about just one person, but I admire you for doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, Adrian would, I'm sure, want nothing less that an open, honest opinion. One of his hates is sycophancy. I doubt that I would have been so open and public with many people but with Adrian it just seemed the natural thing to do.

      Delete
  7. I guess it says something about your evening that you feel free to write as you do! Interesting comment/implied question at the start of your post by the way... (If communication is not meaningful, can it rightfully be called communication at all?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica most of the people with whom I communicate I do so in a meaningful way (and, just in the way that we communicate outwith the confines of any particular post) but in some cases on many blogs I notice comments where people acknowledge they have read the post (which is good and we all do it on occasion) but that is the full extent of the relationship between those particular members of Blogland.

      Delete
    2. Yes I do get what you mean. It corresponds to all the people in the "real" world with whom we rarely exchange more than a "hello" and perhaps occasionally a comment on the weather.

      Delete
  8. How nice to have made a friend through blogging, who is close enough to come and stay. I should try to meet more fellow bloggers.
    Thank you for your nice email by the way, and I'm so pleased you still like the picture. I guess I'm simply delighted that it connects with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny I've met and become good friends with several of my fellow New Zealand bloggers.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.