1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Sense of Achievement

.

.

Friday 19 August 2016

A Sense of Achievement

I woke this morning to a wonderful misty morning:


I spent the day preparing doors and windows etc for painting and, because the afternoon was so perfect for the garden, did some gardening too.

Gaz had brought me some wood in his vanmobile this morning and suggested that we might go for a walk this evening from Garenin to Dalmore to get some sunset shots of the oil rig stranded at Dalmore. I'm sure you'll have heard of it: when it happened I had messages from all over the world telling me about it or asking if I could see it.

That's a sort of walk I haven't been able to do for quite a few years: rough, boggy, hilly terrain.

The evening came and I was tired and it was raining but we (Gaz, his Father-in-Law and I) decided to set off for Garenin on the other side of the Island anyway.  When we got to Garenin the rain stopped. We walked. We returned to Garenin a couple of hours later. It started raining and did so until we were home again.

Walkmeter is a wonderful app which I have on my iPhone. As we left Garenin I set it going. This is the information it provided (the link for the full information and map is here).  




Okay so people do walks like that every day and think nothing of it but it's so long since I have been able to do it that for me 3.31 miles over that sort of terrain was a real achievement and a great advertisement for modern orthopaedic replacements and the skills of those who perform the operations. It is, after all, only 17 weeks since I had a new knee.

So as I type this sitting in bed wide awake and having the occasional sip of cognac I feel a great sense of achievement (but not even a twinge of pain in my knee!).

The oil rig photos? My next post.

22 comments:

  1. Well done! 3.31 miles is certainly a great achievement and one worth celebrating with a sip... or two...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynda. It's given me the confidence to get back to hiking again.

      Delete
  2. I can imagine you starring in a television commercial for Acme knee replacements. (Smiling to camera) "Before I had my new Acme knee fitted, I could only stumble to the car but now I hike the Hebridean hills like a mountain goat - all thanks to Acme! (Taking sip of cognac and grinning to camera) Cheers!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish YP, I wish. I believe TV adverts are quite well paid.

      Delete
  3. That's great to hear that you knee is doing what it's supposed to be doing. That's a remarkable recovery!

    Ahhh...there's nothing quite like a good Cognac...such a lovely, soothing drink. Remy, my male cat's full name is Remy Martin...I imagine you can guess where I got his name from! I also once owned a MG-Magnette (Varitone....black and grey)...and I called it Remy (Martin), too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well coincidences abound Lee. I had brought several cognac's back from Glasgow including a Remy Martin which was on offer at such a ridiculous price I thought they had made a mistake.

      Delete
  4. This is the first time I hear of the oil rig. It will be interesting to see your photos.
    I can relate to your sense of achievement very well! The 10k run O.K. and I ran in July is "nothing" to many accomplished and regular runners, but to me, it is the longest distance I've ever run - and probably ever will run.
    It's great to know you haven't got any pain in your new knee! Your surgeon and everybody else involved in the healing process (including yourself!) did a really good job there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike your 10k run is, to me, a lifetime achievement I have never managed and never will. I had to run cross-country at school even though I had bronchiectasis but I never ever managed to complete the course. I have hiked for many miles in the Lake District or Wales and climbed many of the mountains and hills but I have never run 10k. I have now walked 3.31 miles again but I will never run even 3.31k. So, to me, your achievement is truly amazing.

      Delete
  5. Very well done, Graham. You must be delighted with your progress. And that top photo is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances and I am delighted with the progress.

      Delete
  6. That post cheered me up. Well done you! I hope you enjoy your celebratory cognac. Walkmeter. I'll look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny I always enjoy a cognac (assuming that it's one to my taste). Walkmeter is a fascinating app for those who like to be fascinated!

      Delete
  7. Your first photo looks more like a painting in that light. So pleased to hear you and your knee are conquering the island. I'll look forward to the oil rig photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that Pauline but it does rather.

      Delete
  8. You must feel very happy that you are able to do things that you haven't done for a long time. Okay, I look forward to oil rig photos. I hadn't heard of the oilrig problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red you'll see what the problem is when I post the photos.

      Delete
  9. The rain is just a slight inconvenience; the landscape is what matters. I've bought myself a bottle of good single malt, which I shall broach this winter for similar occasions. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not heard about that oil rig either. Unless curiosity overcomes me and forces me to google, I think I'll await your post. :) I'm so pleased for you that your knee op proved so successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica. My knee is certainly surviving not just the walk but all the kneeling needed to carry out my current re-vamping project.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on the success of the new knee! Must be thrilling to get out walking again after something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Mrs Slapthing. It's also surviving all the work that's going on at Tigh na Mara at the moment!

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.